Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom's Day

Another Mother's Day has come and (almost) gone. Mother's Day always makes me feel guilty for not being a better mom. They say all these wonderful things about mother's and all I can think of is "I wish I was a better mom".

After waiting so long and trying so hard to be a mom I sure am grateful for the kids that make me one, although today I could have done with less whining from the youngest and less random outbursts of noise from the oldest but when it comes down to it, my life would be pretty boring without them. I wish I had more patience. I wish I was more "hands on" and was more touchy feely. I wish I knew how to be more of a friend rather than always have the "I'm the mom" attitude. I wish, I wish, I wish.

I got to talk to my mom today on the phone. It's always nice to hear her voice. I gave her a book "An Angel to Watch Over Me". It's the same song that her and her siblings sang at her mom's funeral in March (I still have to post about that). I asked my dad to buy it and give it to her so I haven't actually seen the book - but she said it was beautiful. I'm glad she liked it. How do you tell your mom how much she means to you? Here were my thoughts today - I know how much she loved her mom, we all loved Grandma so, so much. That's how she can imagine how much I love her, the same as her love for her mom. Then I think the same goes for my daughters - can they possibly love me THAT much? Do I deserve THAT much love?


My mom is a wonderful example of how to serve and love unconditionally. She raised 7 kids while my dad struggled through schooling to make a better living - in order to raise those 7 kids! Growing up I remember her love for life and her love of her family. Whenever we could we would go up to Grandma's on the weekends or on hot summer days, head to Beazer to the creek to cool off. A trip was never complete without the big box of licorice on the dashboard, softening in the sun. She instilled in me a love of family and a love for the generations that have gone on before. She is always serving. She serves in the temple weekly and is always making food or something to take to someone. She helps anyone in need and has taught me to always be giving and serving our fellow men. She has a gift of making anything beautiful. Although I don't think I was blessed with this gift, she has taught me how to make the most simplest of things beautiful without necessarily spending a lot of money. She taught me the skills to be a homemaker. She taught me the importance of hard work and the importance of learning new skills. She taught me to pray and helped me gain the testimony that I have today. She is a wonderful grandma and loves my kids as her own. As I've grown, she has truly become one of my best friends. I go to her for advice, support and to whine and complain to and she always has encouraging words and great advice to give. Thanks mom for being such a wonderful woman - someone I look up to and hope to be like one day.

Spot talked to his mom on the phone as well. I'm so thankful for her and the man that she raised. She raised 12 kids!!! Just that is amazing! She taught my husband the importance of hard work and responsibility. She taught him how to iron a shirt and wash clothes, cook dinner and change diapers (some men NEVER learn these skills!). She taught him to respect women which has made him a wonderful husband and father. She taught him the gospel and the importance of being an example. Some women aren't lucky enough to have a mother-in-law that they like...I'm lucky enough to have one that I love and am grateful for. She is a wonderful grandma as well, one who loves each one of them....all 36(?) of them!!!


I'm grateful for all the women in my life. I have so many friends who inspire me to be better and do better. How lucky am I!

Spot sang in church today. He did a wonderful job. He sung "Love at Home". That's a family favorite. I love the 3rd verse "Kindly heaven smiles above, when there's love at home". I know my grandma is up there smiling down at me. I miss her.

This last week was kind of crazy. My friend's husband was killed in a work accident. She has 5 kids and one on the way - due in November. It makes you realize how close death is...just right there waiting. MSN was best friend's with her son. He's having a hard time dealing with his friend's dad dying and doesn't quite know what to do. We visit them often and take food over but I'm not quite sure what else to do. His memorial will be this Thursday or Friday. I'm thinking that after that is over and family/friends have gone home, that's going to be when she's going to need the support and that's when I'll offer more support - go clean laundry, watch kids, etc. The whole situation is so sad. It makes me hug my husband that much tighter.

I had to work at the school this week as well. The secretary got sick - which doesn't happen too often. I like working there and interacting with the students and staff but I am glad that I don't have to work full time. I don't know if I'll ever be ready to work full time.

The kids started swim club. It's EVERY day for 75 minutes. Thank goodness they all go at the same time. They are all enjoying it and it's great exercise for them. I'm finding that they're more tired at night and eager to go to bed! Can't ask for anything more! :)

That's my life this week. I'll write about grandma's funeral in another post. Time for bed!

No comments: