For spring break this year we decided to go to Victoria for a few days. Spot's parents graciously let us use some of their points to book a room at one of their timeshares. Spot had to work until Wednesday and so we left on Thursday. MSN was nervous about taking the ferry because he was afraid we would have an accident and we'd all drown. The kids had never seen a big ferry before and were suprized when we got to the ferry terminal at how big the ferries were. I was even suprized at how many semi's they fit on them - actually, I didn't even know that they took semi's! We thought we'd be smart and pay the $15.00 extra each way and reserve a spot on the ferry so we didn't have to wait in any lineups. I don't think it made any difference. We were so early getting on the island and getting off that it didn't make any difference - but at least we had that little bit of insurance...just in case! The kids were so excited to get on the ferry! X-Man had looked up all the ferries on line and knew all their names and what amenities each one had. Ours had an arcade - the kids were all so excited to get to the arcade - but I think once they got there, their expectations were a little high for what was there. We walked around the outside of the ferry a little bit, MSN wouldn't go near the edge (the picture below shows the closest he got!) - he's definately our most cautious child!





Once we got to Victoria we were pleasantly suprized with the timeshare. There was two bedrooms and then a wall bed ( I can't think of the name) in the living room - plenty of space for all of us! Although...we were breaking the rule because only 6 people were allowed and we had seven...but we never got caught...whew! The beds were a little small and I wonder - with all the money people pay into the timeshare, you'd think they would at least provide king sized beds in the masterbedroom! The timeshare was within walking distance to the parliament buildings and so we walked there that night. Spot and I had been to Victoria once before, just quickly so I had never seen the parliament buildings up close. I was impressed with the detailing and how beautiful it really was! We then tried to find a grocery store nearby. We found one that was about a 15 minute walk away from the timeshare...not easy to walk with 3 days worth of groceries for 7 people. We each took a bag and chugged along. Everything made it back okay - the bread was a little smushed but still tasted fine! :) When we were at the grocery store we ran into a family from our church. What a pleasant surprise that was!


This was the view from our timeshare. A very nice sight to wake up to!

On Friday we hit all the major attractions. We went to the parliament buildings again - this time inside, to the wax museum (note for next time - Lala doesn't like wax figures!)and the Undersea Gardens (which we weren't going to go to initially but ended up being one of the best attractions!). We also went to Craigdarroch (sp?) Castle. It was so beautiful inside! The wood work was amazing - just the kind of house/castle I would love to live in. I definately think I was born in the wrong era! We headed back to the timeshare and enjoyed some wonderfully, well cooked, chicken and had a nice quiet, relaxing evening. The kids tried out the salt water pool, although the temperatures weren't that great they said the water was warm.
This is MSN trying to blend in to all the wax figures.




Sunday morning was spent getting things cleaned up and then we headed home. Spot and X-Man had to be at a stake all priesthood meeting that night so we had to be home in time for that.
It was a nice vacation and we enjoyed going somewhere we'd never been before. We got some bad news part way through it that put a damper on the trip (I'll write about that in my next post) but we enjoyed what we could and had fun together! Isn't that what family vacations are for?
Once we got to Victoria we were pleasantly suprized with the timeshare. There was two bedrooms and then a wall bed ( I can't think of the name) in the living room - plenty of space for all of us! Although...we were breaking the rule because only 6 people were allowed and we had seven...but we never got caught...whew! The beds were a little small and I wonder - with all the money people pay into the timeshare, you'd think they would at least provide king sized beds in the masterbedroom! The timeshare was within walking distance to the parliament buildings and so we walked there that night. Spot and I had been to Victoria once before, just quickly so I had never seen the parliament buildings up close. I was impressed with the detailing and how beautiful it really was! We then tried to find a grocery store nearby. We found one that was about a 15 minute walk away from the timeshare...not easy to walk with 3 days worth of groceries for 7 people. We each took a bag and chugged along. Everything made it back okay - the bread was a little smushed but still tasted fine! :) When we were at the grocery store we ran into a family from our church. What a pleasant surprise that was!
This was the view from our timeshare. A very nice sight to wake up to!
On Friday we hit all the major attractions. We went to the parliament buildings again - this time inside, to the wax museum (note for next time - Lala doesn't like wax figures!)and the Undersea Gardens (which we weren't going to go to initially but ended up being one of the best attractions!). We also went to Craigdarroch (sp?) Castle. It was so beautiful inside! The wood work was amazing - just the kind of house/castle I would love to live in. I definately think I was born in the wrong era! We headed back to the timeshare and enjoyed some wonderfully, well cooked, chicken and had a nice quiet, relaxing evening. The kids tried out the salt water pool, although the temperatures weren't that great they said the water was warm.
This is MSN trying to blend in to all the wax figures.
Dani in the castle

Saturday was spent trying to find a good beach to go beachcombing on. We didn't want to drive all the way to Long Beach so we found another little spot that one of the tour guides at the castle told us about. Some of us did a lot of hiking - others a lot of driving - to get there but it was well worth it. Bat Man found his first crab and was brave enough to hold it. After the beach we found a restaurant to have dinner and then headed to the Omnimax to watch Madagascar 2.
Saturday was spent trying to find a good beach to go beachcombing on. We didn't want to drive all the way to Long Beach so we found another little spot that one of the tour guides at the castle told us about. Some of us did a lot of hiking - others a lot of driving - to get there but it was well worth it. Bat Man found his first crab and was brave enough to hold it. After the beach we found a restaurant to have dinner and then headed to the Omnimax to watch Madagascar 2.
Sunday morning was spent getting things cleaned up and then we headed home. Spot and X-Man had to be at a stake all priesthood meeting that night so we had to be home in time for that.
It was a nice vacation and we enjoyed going somewhere we'd never been before. We got some bad news part way through it that put a damper on the trip (I'll write about that in my next post) but we enjoyed what we could and had fun together! Isn't that what family vacations are for?



No comments:
Post a Comment