Monday, May 11, 2009

Grandma

While we were on our little vacation in Victoria we got news that Grandma wasn't doing well. I felt helpless and wanted to be there with her but knew that there was no way I would make it there in time. I wanted to be there to say goodbye - to tell her I loved her and how much I'd miss her. It was so hard to carry on our trip and make it enjoyable for the kids. I got random updates from my mom and sister and just before we were about to go in and see Madagascar 2 I got the message that she had passed away. Needless to say I didn't really pay much attention to the movie! We decided that we would head home as scheduled, Spot and X-Man would go to their meeting on Sunday night and then we'd head out to Alberta for the funeral. While they were gone and I was home doing laundry and getting stuff ready I came to the conclusion that we should just sleep in our own beds that night and then head out early in the morning. I was worried about the roads and we were all really tired! We still didn't get much sleep that night but headed out at 5 the next morning. It was a good trip with safe roads. It was also Bat Man's birthday so every stop we made (for gas, food, etc) we would give him a present. We stopped in Calgary at my sister's house and she and my other sisters had preapred a wonderful birthday dinner for him with all his favorites. He was thrilled! We arrived in Lethbridge later that night and checked into our hotel. We stayed in a hotel so we could just dump all our stuff and my mom didn't have too much on her already full plate. It was nice to have our own space and beds to sleep on. Plus the hotel had a waterslide and pool which was nice for the kids to have a place to play during any free time.

I was asked to play the piano for some musical numbers at the funeral and I also requested to be able to hlep dress grandma in her burial clothing. My mom and I drove to Cardston Tuesday morning and met up with my two aunts and headed over to the funeral home. My grandma looked beautiful! We got her prepared and touched up her makeup so she looked more like grandma. I was so grateful to have that opportunity to participate in that last act of service I could do for her on this earth. I was worried that the experience would be creepy and weird but it wasn't, it was quite reverent and beautiful and I was never scared or creeped out by it - even when I had to get real close and apply mascara to her eyelashes. It was affirmed to me that it was just her body that lay there - her spirit was not there anymore, it was finally pain free and enjoying the opportunity to reaquaint herself with her parents, siblings and husband in heaven.

The rest of the day was spent practicing the piano. At the end of the day I didn't end up having to play one of the pieces, the hardest one - THANK GOODNESS! All of grandma's kids sang a song "An Angel to Watch Over Me". It was a beautiful song - but hard to play because the words were so beautiful and so perfect for her.

That night there was a meet the family. Spot brought the kids to Cardston and we had a nice evening meeting together with family that we hadn't seen in a while. All of my aunts and uncles were there - all 11 of them. My one uncle Martin hadn't been back in years and we hadn't heard from him in years. My sister contacted his wife and we were finally able to contact him and he made it there all the way from Russia. It was nice to see him again. I sure do love my aunts and uncles. Being one of the oldest grandchildren they are like older brothers and sisters to me. I'm sure my grandma was so proud to have all of her kids there and most of her grandchildren.


We headed home that night and prepared for the funeral the following morning. I am so grateful for Spot. I don't remember seeing him much those few days - I was busy helping my mom and doing what I needed to do to help out and he stepped in and took over and made sure everything was looked after.

There was a short meet the family before the funeral and then the family prayer. It was a wonderful service with beautiful music. I messed up when I played my uncle's song and still feel terrible about it. But everything was so nice and well done. My uncle Mel conducted the meeting and I was so impressed by the words he said to honor grandma and our family. She was buried in Beazer and a snow storm had rolled in during the funeral. It was an interesting drive to the graveyard through the rolling hills and once we got to the graveyard it was blizzarding and freezing cold. We huddled around for the dedication of the grave site and then everyone got back in their cars and headed back to the chapel. That's just how grandma would have wanted it - no wallowing over her coffin. The sun peaked out for a few minutes and my cousin Andrew took this beautiful picture. I love it! My grandma would have loved it as well - she would have loved the shape of the tree.


We had a wonderful roast beef dinner back at the church and visited with friends and family. It was nice to see family that we don't normally see very often. We also got family pictures taken by Andrew. He did an excellent job of taking pictures and capturing the moment.

We headed home the next day so Spot could make it to his last Woodbadge II training session. The drive home was uneventful. It sure was nice to get home to our own beds!

It's still hard to believe that grandma's gone. I didn't see her often these last few years - but she was thought of often and seen every chance I could get. I spent a lot of time at her house growing up helping her and staying at her house over holidays. She made everyone feel like her favorite person and people loved being around her. I envied the way she would play the piano or organ - so effortlessly and perfect. You could hum a tune and she'd play it back with so much more added. She served her family well. She was known as "Rockin' Ruby" to her nieces and nephews and everyone loved to be around Ruby. She always told me how proud she was of me and how much she loved me. She made me feel so special. She had a talent for painting and painted beautiful pictures. She would take me with her on trips to Waterton and we'd sit and paint together. I loved those trips! She would come into Lethbridge and take me with her on errands around town or to her art shows so I could help her load and unload her pictures. I was so proud sitting there as people walked by looking and complimenting her on her pictures. I will miss her, miss seeing her, miss hearing her laugh. I love you Grandma! xoxo

No comments: