Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year...same old resolutions!

Happy New Year everyone! I know, I'm about 14 days too late...not a good way to start off the new year! ugh!


We are back in the swing of things - Spot's back to work, kids are back to school and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my days. Not that I have NOTHING to do with my days, I have TOO MUCH to do with my days and I never know where to start! I can say that my bathrooms and clean, my kitchen drawers are all organized and the "closet" under the stairs is organized as well. Yes, I HAVE been doing something! I have also gotten rid of 3 garbage bags full of clothes and two more waiting to be taken to their new owners! I LOVE it when Bat Man and LaLa grow out of their clothes - they either go in the garbage, to the good will or to friends. After storing clothes for so long -it's nice to finally be able to get rid of them!


I had another birthday. No big deal...it was a nice day. Spot let me sleep in and led the kids in making me a breakfast. I had a quiet day (Spot took the kids to the pool) and a nice night at home after a good meal. Spot gave me a plane ticket to go home next weekend. My grandma isn't doing well and so I am grateful for the opportunity I have to go and see her, maybe for the last time. I told the kids that I wanted a TV for my craftroom for my birthday so that is what I was expecting - but this is MUCH better. I had resigned myself to thinking that our next trip out there would be for her funeral.

With my birthday comes my new year - I don't bother starting on the 1st...I just wait until the 10th - that way I have 10 more days to eat up all the left over Christmas goodies! My resolutions this year are the same...loose weight, get physically fit, be a better wife, be a better mom, be a better housekeeper... I don't know how I'm doing...I plan on joining Curves and realize that the weight is going to come off little by little - even though I'd love to loose 50 pounds a month - it's just not going to happen. Our whole family needs to get more physically fit and we're trying to eat less, and eat better. I realize it's all got to start with me since I grocery shop and make the majority of the meals for our family. We don't eat a lot of "crap" but I think we eat too much. We need new dinner plates (they keep breaking somehow...) so I'm going to look for smaller ones. Mind over matter people!


There's not much more to write about other than the basic daily struggles with raising 5 kids in this crazy world. We've had our first bout of swearing with MSN. It was a pretty bad word. What do you do? I discussed it with him, discussed what that word meant and discussed ways that he can get away from the people at school that are saying it. X-Man is also having struggles at school. He constantly speaks out in the classroom and always wants to be the class clown - totally Spot's fault! He's had a real struggle this year going into grade 7 (the high school here in our town). I didn't think we'd have a problem or a real issue with the change but boy was I wrong! We've NEVER had to deal with behavior problems with him - so this is a big suprise! I can't help but think how different it would be if we were living somewhere else. Or would it be? I grew up with so many members of our church around us, there wasn't any problems in finding a good friend who didn't swear, etc. Although I would never wish homeschooling on anyone (I couldn't imagine...I can barely handle 1/2 hour piano lessons)...I can see why parents choose to do it - keeping them safe at home. But, then, at the same time, they need to learn how to get along in this world and deal with the struggles and temptations that will come their way. Who knew parenting would be so hard!


That's about it. We're still waiting to hear if Spot gets this new contract that will take him through to the Olympics. We're hopefull and should know next week.


I'll leave with a cute little thing LaLa did today. Spot came in from work and came up the stairs. We were all sitting at the kitchen table. He took off his coat and she said "oh, Daddy, you look handsome today!" It was pretty cute. He's always handsome to me! Here's a picture of LaLa and her handsome daddy (taken about 3 years ago).



No comments: