Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Welcome to life with a teenager...


X-Man turned 13 at the end of June. We will now have a teenager in our family for the next 13 years. At some point our kids ages will be 12, 14, 16, 17 & 19. What fun we have in store!

X-Man is the oldest in our family. There are many times when he doesn't like being the oldest and just as many times when he enjoys the priviledges that brings. He was a baby we waited a long time for. We spent a few years trying for him and finally ended up pregnant after taking fertility drugs. We were grateful when we could only hear one heartbeat. We were thrilled when it was a little boy and realized that he was the first grandson to carry on the family name. He also made my lifelong dream of being a mother come true.

I loved being pregnant - aside from being sick for the first 20 weeks. I loved feeling a little soul inside of me. He was born on a hot day in Burnaby. Spot had a business meeting to go to and was worried about what he was going to wear (he still does that!). He came home early and enlisted my help at the store in the nearby mall. We came home and he got ready to go. I started feeling something and informed him that he maybe wanted to wait a few minutes before hurrying off. I remember watching Oprah and eating freezies rocking in my new rocking chair. The contractions came and went - just like clockwork. Sure enough, I was in labor. Spot called someone at work and told them he wouldn't be attending the meeting. We were in for a long night! It was a textbook labor - if they would have had a check list beside everything they told you about labor in our baby book we would have checked it off in order that they listed things. We the contractions were coming quite steadily we called my doctor. He was really worried because there wasn't any room at the hospital he was at and didn't know where to send me. He told us to wait a while longer and call again when the contractions got closer. A little while later they were about 4 minutes apart and I was feeling a lot of pain so we called again and he told us to go to the Burnaby Hospital and we'd have to have another doctor deliver the baby. I was a little bummed out but at that point I just wanted to get to the hospital and get some kind of drugs to help with the pain. It was about 9:00 at night that we left and I remember Spot stopping at a light a me telling him to please just go - I needed to get to the hospital NOW! We got there and had to go to admitting. I remember being asked questions but I don't remember what I answered - I was in PAIN! We got up to the maternity suites and they wanted to weigh me for some reason. I remember trying my hardest to stand on the scale and basically hold the baby in because it was coming and coming fast! We got into the birthing suite and the cleaner was just finishing cleaning it - the floors were still wet. I got changed and up on the bed and the nurse checked me and said the baby was coming. I remember doctors coming in and introducing themselves but I don't remember much after that. I did get some drugs - the laughing gas which didn't really help - just made my mind fuzzy. They were trying to get me onto my back but I wasn't budging and gave birth on my side. Spot remembers wearing his wedding ring and mentally make a note to never wear his wedding ring again while I was giving birth - I almost broke his fingers I was squeezing them so hard and wearing a ring didn't help. A boy was born at 10:15pm and we were so happy! Spot called his parents and they came up immediately! We were so suprized to see them at the hospital at 11:15 at night! We didn't have a name - it took a few days to finally decide on it. We named him after my grandfather and Spot's grandfather.

He was a pretty cute baby and we were instantly in love. When he was 2 months old we got notice that we were moving to Nova Scotia. We were so sad to leave our family but excited to start a new life with our new little family.

X-Man has always been a caring child - full of life and laughter. He loved to dance and sing and talk. He was a good brother to each one of his siblings that came along and was happy to take on the leader role in the family. He has set a great example for his brothers and sisters to follow and tries to choose the right.

X-Man has an amazing memory! He can remember things that most people wouldn't have even noticed. His brain is like a huge sponge and whatever goes in - never comes out. He is great in school when he applies himself and is well liked by all his teachers and classmates. He is usually the class clown (comes by it honestly...Spot!) and is well liked by everyone he meets.

X-Man loves football - and all sports really. I can see him being a sports broadcaster. He can tell you most players of most teams and their stats. He's constantly watching or listening to the news channels and can tell you EVERYTHING that's going on in the world.

He also loves music and is pretty good on the piano despite his pathetic music teacher. He also has a lovely singing voice and needs to use it more often!

We are so grateful to have him in our family. I have to admit he frustrates me on a daily basis but it's usually because I'm not ready to let him grow up. It's scary having kids grow up and tackle life on their own. I need to trust that what we've taught him will stick in his mind and help him to make right decisions. I am constantly reminding him that he's the oldest and our first child - so we're probably going to make ALOT of mistakes with him. I hope that he forgives us for all those mistakes some day.


Welcome to teenager-hood X-Man. Please have patience with us while we try to figure out how to be a parent to a teenager but most of all remember we love you!

No comments: